Many often say that the best way of keeping hair straight in humidity is to use lots of mousse or similar products. Although these products may be the quickest and easiest way to straighten hair, you have to wonder if the easy way is really the best way for keeping your hair straight while also keeping it in good condition. There are actually quite a few types of products that can help you with keeping your hair straight when it’s humid out.
One of, if not the most important ingredient for keeping your hair under control and frizz free is Silicone. It’s found in many hair care products. It minimizes frizz because it’s water-resistant, and so it prevents humidity from entering the hair shaft and swelling it. Using a shampoo, conditioner, and styling serum all containing silicone will not only control frizz but also help with detangling and shine. Below are the top 5 products for keeping your hair under control in the damp seasons followed by a 12-step system (from Chicago Stylist Amy Abramite at Maxine Salon) for making your hair humidity proof. — Keep in mind that too much of a good thing can be a bad thing, so mix a few of these products in with what you already have and you’ll be golden.
12 Steps To Flawless Humidity Proof Hair
1. Shampoo and rinse.
2. Massage in conditioner. Leave on for five minutes, then rinse.
3. Gently squeeze excess water from hair with a towel. (Do not rub.)
4. Detangle with a wide-toothed comb.
5. Apply leave-in serum with fingers, working from ends to scalp.
6. Section wet hair in two halves, top and bottom of head. Fasten top section with clips.
7. Starting with the bottom section, use a paddle brush to stretch curls straight while blowing dry from scalp to ends.
8. Do the same with the top section.
9. Section hair again, top and bottom, fastening top with clip.
10. Use flatiron on bottom section.
11. Use flatiron on top section.
12. Apply serum with fingers, working upward toward scalp.
Bottom line: With silicone-containing products and a rigorous blow-out and flatironing routine, keeping your hair straight in humidity.
Keeping hair straight in humidity can be easier or harder based on the condition that your hair is in. When styling your hair, use light products to keep your hair in good condition while straightening. One route that some people take is to use a chemical conditioner to straighten hair which can cause damage to the hair. Some “around the home” products that you can use to condition the hair, are Peanut Butter, Egg Yolks, Olive Oil, Mayonnaise, or Vegetable Oil. These should not be used in combination, and should be applied to hair the night before straightening the hair.
Gels are another type of hair product that can help for keeping hair straight in humidity. They create a strong defense against humidity although the use of too much will weigh the hair down, quite a bit. The best kind of gel to use is Anti-Frizz gel for obvious reasons. Using gel is a simple and should not require you to use in a way to sleek the hair down, rather it should be used when the hair is wet so that the hair can pull the ingredients from the gel which are used for keeping hair straight in humidity. Once the gel has been applied, blow dry the hair and you’re all set for keeping your hair straight.
Photo Credit: @FoxNewsMagazine